Skip to main content

A healthier me

ok so i ventured out on this plan to be healthier. I started about a month ago.
One piece of f advice I have read on how to be successful is to have a buddy or share your plan with others. So this is my attempt to make myself more successful.

My first and foremost goal is to be all around more healthy. That mind, spirit and body. So I will break them down for you in smaller goals.

Mind:
Be thankful for everything in my life. No more complaining about work. Being happy that i am able to work and have employment. Not looking forward to Friday afternoons but instead being grateful for every monday morning. 
Do NOT Stress! I'm not generally someone who stresses. But it does happen occasionally  I'm a pretty easy going and laid back person. That being said I have 3 kids, 2 jobs and 1 college degree to finish. All of these things push my buttons at times. Its up to me to take a deep breathe and realize that not everything in this world is under my control. (I can be a tad OCD at times)
Manage my time. This is huge for me. Almost nothing happens on the fly with me. I just can't do that. I have everything scheduled and planned out in advance. If not then it doesn't happen. This can be difficult at times. Especially this upcoming weekend for example: Our church is having the annual harvest carnival the same night as my job #1 is having a "night out" at the bar. Which is also when some friends of mine are having a halloween party. Which is ALSO when I am on-call for job #2. So as you can see setting priorities and managing time is HUGE for my peace of mind!

Spirit:
So I downloaded this app on my phone to read the bible to me every day for 365 days. I have never read the bible in its entirety and I really have a deep desire to do this before I get any older. Leaving it up to myself to sit down with the good book is nearly impossible. So this fabulous app reads the bible to me in chronological order so it all makes sense (to me anyway). I can plug my phone into my car speakers and listen to it while i drive, or plug my earbuds in while i'm on a walk. I would get so into a story that i would "read" ahead a few days. But I have to admit that I have fallen behind. I really need to get caught up.
I also tried to join a few lifegroups in my church for this fall quarter. That didn't work out so well for me. I have not attended one meeting for the single moms group or the ladies with a purpose group. I had to quite the fitness group and decline to help in our red ink bookstore. I suck!!! The great thing about the church (and God) is that tomorrow is always a new day. Hopefully I will be more able to dedicate my time with the winter groups.

Body:
Ok here it is. My most vulnerable area. This is where i need the most help!
So I started out weighing in at.... (yes i'm going to tell my weight)... are you ready ... 133.8.
ok so that may not sound like a lot to you but let me start out by saying that we all have our own issues and challenges and I was very unhappy with the SHAPE of my body. I would like to lose some weight yes of course but i also want to tone it up. I have flabby areas- mainly my belly. But my legs were no pretty scene either. I'm ok with my upper body. I'm not crazy about walking around with ripped arms so i tend to not spend as much time on those areas.
So let me just say that i HATE yes HATE let me say it again HATE running. I don't like to sweat (i sparkle). Running hurts my knees and back and makes me all hot and feel gross. Unfortunately its a really great all over body workout. Doing the daily exercises i do help with the toning but i have just got to suck it up and do some hard core cardio is i really want to shed pounds. 

I am vowing to spend 30 minutes running at least twice per week!

I'll keep you updated on how that goes. In the meantime i love doing more toning exercises at home. i do these every night before bed. I would love to wake up early and do this stuff at 5am but that never seems feasible for me. When you exercise in the morning you burn the fat already in your body as opposed to burning off the fat you have incurred by the end of the day. However this is my life and I will do the best I can.

So in the past month i have lost 3 lbs.

Not exactly what i was wanting but hey its progress in the right direction. So i'm ok with it. I feel like my thighs are huge! In reality i have lost 1.5 inches around my thighs. My butt is also starting to look much more lifted. What I am not happy with is the inches around my belly. I measure in several spots. I measure my bust (which i have lost) my "skinny waist" (at the end of my ribs where the hourglass comes in), my "fat waist" (around my belly button to include my love handles), and my hips (around pelvic bone and largest part of butt). I do those weekly and then do my thighs, calves, upper and lower arms once a month.
Like i said my legs are losing, my arms are unchanged and my bust is smaller (not a good thing)
But my midsection is all the same. I have made no progress here. This is the very area of my body that motivated me to get healthy in the first place so why is it the hardest to change?

Some may want to coach me on healthy eating habits but i have actually been working on that too!
I downloaded an app to help me count calories. it was a great wake up call when i first started to help me control what i eat. I don't use it much anymore as i feel like i have the hang of making healthy choices now. I buy lots of raw fruits and veggies for snacks. I make smoothies for breakfast. I've been working on my lean proteins. EVERYTHING.
and trust me this is the hardest part for me!!! I have never ate food just because i was hungry i ate for the taste. I can't resist yummy foods!!!! I feel like i have made such a transformation here! this is why i'm sad and frustrated. I feel like my effort and sacrifice does not match my results :(

ok well this blog is getting long and i have to go. So feel free to share your thoughts and advise and I will keep you posted on my next weigh in!!

Julie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

weight is just a number

The Answer? The all do. Each of these women weight 154 lbs Just for an FYI: The average American woman is 5'4" and weighs 164 lbs.

Stretching for flexibility

Stretching is such a critical aspect of life. Stretching will not only improve your athletic abilities it will also help prevent injuries. When you stretch it allows your joints to move in their full range of motion.This is also a great technique to get blood to flow to your muscles. When it comes to cheerleading stretching is a huge aspect. Why? because the focus is on flexibility. When my cheerleaders ask me how to get better jumps- my answer is always to stretch daily. So how do you stretch for cheer? - First you never want to start with cold muscles. So first thing to do is is a light jog for 5-10 minutes. After that your muscled will be warm and ready to be stretched out. - Next focus on your major muscle groups and muscles that you use frequently. For cheer, that would be your calves, hamstrings, quads and hips.It is also a good idea to stretch your back and neck. - When you stretch your right side, make sure you are also stretching your left side. - Hold your stretch

3-day workout week