Skip to main content

Rhabdomyolysis and CrossFit


 
There was an article that was just posted today (09/25/13) on Huffingtonpost.com by Eric Robinson.

Before noon it had already been shared on Facebook almost 3,000 times and had almost 100 comments. While I did not scroll through the comments posted I did gather some thoughts from my co-workers.

 The article talks about a disease called Rhabdomyolysis and how it relates to CrossFit. The author is basically bashing CrossFit saying that the culture and mindset that it puts on people is Killing them!

While I do not partake in CrossFit myself I do know others that do. I have never heard a negative report and in fact I hear quite frequently another story.

A good friend of mine who attends on a very regular basis has talked before about the trainers at her gym and how they truly care for your well-being. They are there to make sure you don’t injure yourself, they push you to do your best but never to the point of injury. They are trained professionals.

My co-worker who read the article and is also a very dedicated CrossFitter had this to say:

I found this article very interesting. The first half had some good information, however the second half seemed like an opportunity for the author to simply speak negatively about the sport of crossfit. Over the time that I’ve been participating in crossfit and in meeting many people who participate consistently in crossfit, I have noticed a general trend in the mind of the average crossfitter. We tend to be very driven, motivated people and have what I refer to as a “beast mentality” that does not easily give up or quit when something gets hard. That being said, everyone I have met and myself, all use common sense. We all know our bodies. We know what our bodies are capable of and what our limits are. We take breaks when we need to and don’t try to do more reps or more weight than we know is healthy. So far, in my crossfit experience, I have not encountered anyone who is so careless to push themselves to the point of what the author of the article was referring to. The same goes for all the crossfit trainers I have encountered. Every trainer at the box I attend, is adamant that we know our limits, and take breaks when we need to and only use a weight that is appropriate. The trainers I work with have even taken the time to get to know all of us so that they are able to help us monitor ourselves just in case we do get carried away and try to do too much. I have never encountered a trainer that pushes the way the author in the article referenced. That being said, I do understand that there are bad trainers everywhere and those trainers are in every sport, not just crossfit. The potential for rhadbomyolysis is not just amongst crossfitters, but can be found in any extreme sport, especially where there is trauma to the muscles – dance, football, marathon running and more. Rhabdomyolysis is a very serious occurrence and should never be taken lightly. Whenever we exercise or participate in a sport, especially if it is high intensity, we should always drink plenty of fluids afterward. This will dilute the urine and help flush out any proteins in the bloodstream caused by muscle damage. This is the best prevention to rhabdomyolysis. I will always be an advocate for healthy diet, exercise and the sport of crossfit. Crossfit was never designed to damage us, it was designed to teach the body very functional movements while strengthening and empowering us. Learning how to balance exercise, diet and rest will always lead to a happy lifestyle.

 I wanted to do a little more research on this disease. I was curious to find out how many cases of Rhabdomyolysis actually come from CrossFit injuries as opposed to other sports. (In my brief search i did not find my answer.) In E. Robinsons article he notes how this is a very rare disease. He remarked how CrossFit coaches seem to know so much about it. I personally think its something that any trainer should know about. Frankly I applaud the CrossFit trainers for knowing the risks of their sport. That does not make them criminals. This is a disease that could happen to any athlete and all coaches and trainers should be aware of the risks.

I like what thispost on DailyPix.me had to say: “One of the most important aspects of any workout plan is to assess and research what the health risks are”

While Googling I found this Article very helpful. The author here says “It can also occur in those with severe bee-sting allergies and massive infections, and occasionally it is seen in athletes, particularly those who have become dehydrated after prolonged exertion in high heat. I work in northern Arizona and see it most commonly in people who have been hiking in the Grand Canyon.”

When you look up Rhabdomyolysison WebMD, you will see a list of some of the causes of this disease:
      
-The use of alcohol or illegal drugs such as
cocaine or amphetamines
· Extreme muscle strain, especially in someone who is an untrained athlete. This can happen in elite athletes too, however. And it can be more dangerous if there is more muscle mass to break down.
· A crush injury such as from an auto accident, fall, or building collapse
· Long-lasting muscle compression such as that caused by lying unconscious on a hard surface during illness or while under the influence of alcohol or medication
· The use of drugs such as corticosteroids or statins, especially when given in high doses

No where on WebMD does it mention CrossFit as a direct cause.

 

Look my point is this…

This is a terrible disease. Yes it is rare but it happens and you need to know the signs and symptoms. But this is something that could happen to any athlete, in any sport, or as we learned from WebMD ANY HUMAN BEING ANY WHERE AT ANY TIME.
In my opinion, Eric Robinson (and any one else who blames this disease on CrossFit) does not have the right to scare people away from this amazing sport

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

weight is just a number

The Answer? The all do. Each of these women weight 154 lbs Just for an FYI: The average American woman is 5'4" and weighs 164 lbs.

Stretching for flexibility

Stretching is such a critical aspect of life. Stretching will not only improve your athletic abilities it will also help prevent injuries. When you stretch it allows your joints to move in their full range of motion.This is also a great technique to get blood to flow to your muscles. When it comes to cheerleading stretching is a huge aspect. Why? because the focus is on flexibility. When my cheerleaders ask me how to get better jumps- my answer is always to stretch daily. So how do you stretch for cheer? - First you never want to start with cold muscles. So first thing to do is is a light jog for 5-10 minutes. After that your muscled will be warm and ready to be stretched out. - Next focus on your major muscle groups and muscles that you use frequently. For cheer, that would be your calves, hamstrings, quads and hips.It is also a good idea to stretch your back and neck. - When you stretch your right side, make sure you are also stretching your left side. - Hold your stretch

3-day workout week