Skip to main content

Noom Review

Awhile back I posted something about downloading this new app called Noom. It was recommended by Dr. Oz, so I thought I would give it a try. Here's my review:

The good:

I love this app because it gives you great daily education into your health. Each day you have new tasks. These tasks usually come in the form of these quick and easy little articles to read. They give you great insight on what is bad for you, whats good and why. Then at the end of reading the article it challenges you to do something related to what you just read.
For example: One day my article was about making my plate more colorful. It talked about all the great benefits of the orange and green veggies and the blue and purple fruits, ect. Then I clicked on the "colors" that I had ate that day.

Another cool feature of this app is that it is also a pedometer. All you have to do is carry it with you. In a pocket or even your purse throughout the day and it will track how many steps you have taken.
This is a little inconsistent though. I see it going up as I am driving and hit a bump in the road. However I think it evens out for all the times I'm walking around and not holding my phone.
Either way I think it's a cool feature that none of my other apps have.

The ehhh:

One thing that I could see as beneficial and also not so much is the simplicity in it. Noom boasts about how their process is a very simplistic approach to healthy eating  This is a good and bad thing in my opinion. They group all foods into green, yellow and red categories. Noom will tell you how much of your diet should contain "green" foods and how much "yellow" and how much "red". The thought is that the red foods are your bad foods. The sugars, fried foods, high fat and processed stuff. The foods that are labeled green are healthy- good for you food.
I don't mind that they categorized food into these colors I just think that there is so much more to it and that not every food fits into these 3 little boxes. Which brings me to...

The bad:

Noom is so NOT on track with its calculations. I can put the same food into 3 other apps and they are all about the same... but on Noom my calorie count is way off. I don't want people to drive themselves mad counting calories every day (i know people who are very strict with this, and I don't recommend it) BUT I do want you to have some sort of accurate idea (if that makes sense).
Obviously there is no app out there that is going to be able to count the EXACT number of calories YOU burn and consume every day. But I just think that it's not fair that Noom is not even close in its count. If I followed my calorie count on Noom I would be over my goal by about 200 calories every day... and then left wondering what I did to gain weight.

Another annoyance is that a lot of foods are not already in the Noom database. It claims to have a large database but it really does not. It frequently tells me that a food is not found. Even when I scan the bar-code it frequently does not recognize it. highly annoying!

Do you have the Noom app on your phone or tablet??
Do you like it- what are your thoughts? Please share.

Find more out about Noom directly from the makers by clicking HERE.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

weight is just a number

The Answer? The all do. Each of these women weight 154 lbs Just for an FYI: The average American woman is 5'4" and weighs 164 lbs.

Stretching for flexibility

Stretching is such a critical aspect of life. Stretching will not only improve your athletic abilities it will also help prevent injuries. When you stretch it allows your joints to move in their full range of motion.This is also a great technique to get blood to flow to your muscles. When it comes to cheerleading stretching is a huge aspect. Why? because the focus is on flexibility. When my cheerleaders ask me how to get better jumps- my answer is always to stretch daily. So how do you stretch for cheer? - First you never want to start with cold muscles. So first thing to do is is a light jog for 5-10 minutes. After that your muscled will be warm and ready to be stretched out. - Next focus on your major muscle groups and muscles that you use frequently. For cheer, that would be your calves, hamstrings, quads and hips.It is also a good idea to stretch your back and neck. - When you stretch your right side, make sure you are also stretching your left side. - Hold your stretch

3-day workout week